You know that day you finally decide to get creative in the kitchen? It just happens to be the same day that it’s raining cats & dogs or you’re area is having the snow storm of the century. You just can’t get to the store!
Here are a few simple baking substitutions and cooking substitutions for some common ingredients.
- 1 square (1 oz) unsweetened chocolate = 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, plus 1 tbs butter
- 1 square (1 oz) semisweet chocolate = 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder plus 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup sifted cake powder = 1 cup less 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour = 1 cup flour plus 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs flour for thickening = 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder = 1/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar = 1 tbs cider or red wine vinegar plus 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup = 1 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid used in recipe
- 1 cup honey = 1 1/4 cups sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid used in recipe
- 1 cup molasses = 1 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk = 1 tbs vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1 cup
- 1 cup sour cream (only for baking purposes) = 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar = 1 cup sugar plus 2 tbs molasses
- 1 tsp lemon juice = 1/4 tsp vinegar
- 1 cup tomato juice = 1/2 cup tomato sauce plus 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups tomato sauce = 6 oz tomato paste plus 1 cup water
- 1 tbs fresh herbs = 1 tsp dried herbs
Copyright © Henriettibles 2013 All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without Henriettibles’ express consent. Backlinks are allowed.